If unproductive meetings are a concern at your company, consider our Do's and Don'ts for making meetings more productive and less excruciating!
Ask the meeting organizer, or yourself, these questions before the meeting:
- Is the meeting appropriate/necessary?
- Who needs to attend?
- What will be the agenda?
- What materials do I and/or the attendees need to have? by when?
Take ownership and responsibility of how productive the meeting is no matter the role you play
Speak up when needed in a professional way
Implement a meeting structure aligned to overall project goals
Use formats that allow a fun, ebb and flow from individual to group sharing or tasks
- Ask staff to fly in for a status that could be done virtually
- Make an entire team listen through other employees’ updates that really are for one-on-one discussions
- Have legacy meetings only because it’s what the company has been doing forever or the previous boss was conducting those meetings
- Assume other attendees can fill in for you without prior planning
- Let attendees divert the focus of the meeting and go off on tangents
What did you think of this episode? Total life changer? Waste of time? Give us a piece of your mind here.